Following the release of the crime statistics for the 2018/2019 reporting year by the Minister of Police, Mr Bheki Cele, the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) published an article entitled “Policing alone cannot solve South Africa’s violence”.
The crime stats that were released confirm the extremely bad state of affairs in terms of crime in our country. And although many fingers are pointed at the police, sometimes rightly so when some police members fail to do even the basics right, the truth is that the police alone are not the solution, as the ISS also argues in their article.
Our question to our Facebook friends was to provide some solutions and share their thoughts about the crime situation. Here are a few of the comments:
- We need private security companies to work in cooperation with the police.
- Give the police more support! Our men in blue are trying so hard but they are giving up due to government’s lack of care. They are catching the baddies just for them to be set free again by the courts. Our men feel, what’s the use? #policemanswife
- There are 189 000 police employees but resources are scarce with nearly no overtime being paid - I salute all of them.
- Grow the economy.
- Change the laws, the problem is the laws of the country around drugs and alcohol that lead to most of these unwanted crimes. Stop correction and call it jail with hard labour and let the prisoners work to provide themselves with food. Stop the tender processes.
- We have a people problem and the police are not psychologists.